Tuesday, 22 April 2014

How I learned the word 'Psychologist' - In remembrance of my teacher

Sir,

The year was 1992 when I joined Tsebar Pilot School then, upon my father's transfer to Tsebar from Yurung. I am sure you remember him, Lopen Tshering Wangdi. I joined there in class II, you were my class teacher and you taught me English, the language I am writing this text in. I was too young to understand your love for us then, but in retrospection, you have left a trademark in forming my character as human. If I could not become a good human, it is all due to my ignorance alone, for I had chance in my life to have met with this great human, a man who projected all the virtues of humanity - love, care, trust, honesty, integrity, altruism, compassion and so forth, he was you, my teacher. I can remember how you use to bring books from library and encourage us to read. When I was in class six in 1996, you use to be there every morning with us at six o'clock to monitor our morning reading class. I realise now, it was all out of your sheer love for us and never under an official command; you did away your time with your family for us which hardly a few teachers did then and do now.
I can count many anecdotes with you that taught me lessons for life. One of many in Tsebar was how I learned the word 'Psychologist' from you when I was in class IV.
It was once when we were walking back from Pemagatshel, after attending ‘Talent week’ the carnival for the schools under Pemagatshel Dzongkhag; I am sure you remember the annual event that use to be part of celebration for all the schools. As we were walking our way up Brongkhola battling the stiff claim of Leydung under the scorching sun, I offered to carry the water bottle which your wife was carrying. With much reluctance, madam allowed me to carry the bottle; I now fathom that I was let to carry it just to appreciate my courtesy, because it wasn't very heavy for her shoulder, I remember it now. There was a great lesson in itself.
But what happened there the next wasn't very pleasant. I walked bit too fast for you to keep up with me. Just the moment I was out of your sight, I caught up with a few big boys walking ahead. These boys, with their might of size and force took your water from me and drank it all. You never drank water before boiling. That was the time I should have acted honestly, but I went on to be bit smart cheating on you. Leaving you and madam thirsty and direly in need of water, I fled with the entire pace I could accelerate. I cannot imagine how you must have suffered having to walk dry throat with Babu on your back!
I reached Shinangri and filled your bottle with tap water, making sure to have filled just the exact amount of water you had left before, much prudently. My smartness didn't stop there; I left the bottle in one of my friends' hand requesting him to give it to you without telling the real tale behind the act. I thought I succeeded in fooling you sir. But I was indeed fooling myself.
Next day when we were at the school you called me up and asked about that day. I lied. I was caught.
Actually, you figured that out instantly after my loyal friend handed over the bottle to you. I was smart to check the volume of water in the bottle, but fool to have not known the taste that differed between boiled water and tap water. But you wanted me to be honest, learn to be honest and speak the truth. But I was too stubborn to admit the truth. I found my reason in lying. That was the time when you, with your pointer finger running around my face, as if you were drawing the word on my face told, ‘You cannot lie to your teacher. Teachers are the greatest psychologist.’ I learned to be courteous, I learned to be honest and I learned the word psychology from there.
In same token, there are many more moments we shared together in Tsebar. I finished my Primary Education from there. You were still my class teacher when I passed out class VI. You bade me good bye with blessings and prayers, but our karma seemed to have been too strong. So you joined me at Nangkor Junior High School in 2007. I have many such events with you to count from our days in Nangkor too, but I would not like to bore you with accounting everything.
One thing I would like to share is, today I have become a teacher and you still inspire me to be good human and a good teacher. I am striving to.
Thanks lord for sending you in my life and thank you for that “Roti with aludam” once you served me at your kitchen in Nangkor.

Regards to Mam and Babu.

Yours student
Jigme Dorji


No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels